Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Learn Something New Every Day - Day 2

Day 2 arrived ever so fast - I am in a different time zone to where the class teacher Shimelle is based - Shimelle is in the UK and I am in Australia.

Day 2 Prompt - Inspirational Teachers - who and why?

This took me ages to narrow down the most worthy of individual mention - almost everyday someone somewhere teaches me something - from the person who wrote the recipe book I am using, my children who teach me far too many things that could be listed here, the writers of the courses I am currently attending online, the man who teaches me First Aid every year for my 'other job' etc etc.
Travelling further back in time there were bosses and mentors in various places of employment, the teachers from secondary and primary school, and as far back as my memory can take me to my parents, relatives, neighbours and last but not least my valued friends - this group of people span my lifetime.
The most inspirational teachers in my life were my father who taught me many a practical skill - how to wash a car 'properly', how to mow the lawn, how to use a whole shed of tools and how to stand on my own two feet. Sadly he passed away 14 years ago at the age of 60 but he continues to remind me of those life lessons often - the biggest one that rings in my ears every now and then - "Michelle, you make your bed, you lie in it" and many a time it has stopped me in my tracks before making a not so great decision.
My mother rates a mention but not for her positive input into my life but quite the opposite, unsupportive, uncommunicative, martyrdom. Her style of parenting ensured I raised my older children very differently and continues to determine how I raise my youngest child (12yrs).
Thankfully I have a wonderful Aunt who fills that motherly role for me, who is always there at the end of the phoneline, who doesn't sugarcoat anything, just simply tells it like it is. Forgiving, generous of herself and a very talented crafter to boot.
Here is the layout from my SMASH book that I created following from my thoughts and notes of Day 2.
My journaling is in the envelope under the big purple flower, the quilt on the left page is a tribute to my special Aunt - boy does she know how to make a patchwork quilt!
The title reads
I am.
all that I can be right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment